Goal of Surgery
If you ever break your collar bone, the severity of the condition is determined by how much the broken ends or fragments of bone move away from each other. Surgery is indicated in those where the broken ends have shifted and intervention needs to help them back together.
The goal of Open Reduction Internal Fixation (ORIF) of a broken clavicle, is to open the site for repair, reduce or bring the ends of the break back together, and hold them together using a surgical plate like bone armour, and screws to hold the plate down.
If surgery is indicated, Dr Gupta will use a metal plate and screws to bring the collar bone back together.
- Low profile plate (means you get a low fitting plate to match your clavicle shape)
- Adjustable locking and non-locking screws
Plate and Screws
Once in, your plate and screws are designed to stay in, only ever needing to be revised if there is a problem or if you re-break your clavicle. Typically, once you have had surgery, the metal plate acts like armour and should make your collar bone stronger.
If you are suffering with a broken collar bone injury and don't know what to do, Dr Gupta can offer advice or a second opinion if you are uncertain. Contact Dr Gupta on 02 9687 8344 or make an online booking here.
Clavicle plate surgery is a reasonably minimally invasive procedure which will cause little scarring. Dr Gupta is a specialist shoulder surgeon with a back ground in micro-surgery. You will have one of the best at your service to to manage the smallest scar possible, despite your condition.
You should expect the following after surgery;
- Drowsy and swollen
- Strong pain, decreasing over 6 weeks after the operation
- You will be in a collar and cuff sling for 2 weeks
- You will see Dr Gupta again about 2 weeks after your operation
- You should complete rehab with a Physiotherapist who uses Dr Gupta's Post-Op Broken Collar Bone Reduction Protocol
- You will see Dr Gupta again about 3 months after your operation
Dr Gupta has a proven track record of successful surgical outcome and will talk to you further about your condition at your initial consultation. To book an appointment with Dr Gupta, call 02 9687 8344 or make a priority booking online here.